Houseplants are a decoration to brighten up your house, adding pops of color and a vibrant touch to even the plainest home. And studies show that they also improve air quality, lower stress level, and generally make people happier. But what if those seemingly innocent plants are potentially harming your pets? Some plants are far from harmless beauties — emitting toxins or poisonous sap. Wondering if you just brought home? Well just keep reading.
Oleander
With its intoxicating fragrance and clusters of bright buds and glossy leaves, Oleander is popular indoors and out. But every part of it is poisonous. Eating it can cause a variety of symptoms, from dizziness to vomiting, and may even lead to death, especially in the case of pets and small children.
Peace Lily
The peace lily, is a popular gift because it needs very little maintenance and blooms nearly nonstop. With a little water and a little sunlight, the peace lily can survive forever. However, it’s poisonous for pets. Ingestion can cause drooling, vomiting, swelling of the lips, tongue, and upper airway.
Snake Plant
Because they do just fine in low light, snake plants are common in office spaces and in homes. But the plants are also poisonous if swallowed. Large doses can cause nausea and vomiting, and the poison found in the plant has a numbing effect that can cause the tongue and throat to swell. The plants are more toxic to dogs and cats, which can suffer from nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Lilies
While not generally dangerous to humans, all lilies are highly toxic to cats and certain varieties can be toxic to dogs as well. If swallowed, lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia, and tremors.

*DOG GUARD® Out-Of-Sight Fencing® is a trademark of Sunward Electronics® and should not be confused with Invisible Fence® (InvisibleFence®). Invisible Fence® and Invisible Fencing® are registered trademarks of Invisible Fence Company.